Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Last Vacation Post

It's June 1st - forecast is 102 in Kingman today at 4PM......smokin'!

After last week's foil phenom, I went to the community quilters' guild the following day.  The ladies were excited about the foiling process, so I'm hosting June's guild at my house and we're going to foil things.....fabric, glass, wood, whatever the girls bring, we're gonna foil!  I'll post after the VV Quilters Guild meeting with techniques, projects, etc.

This week has been a plethora of holiday projects and some just plain fun stuff. I finished the Tall Trees.....

Two Tall Trees
One is FMQ'd with Leah Day's "train track" stipple patten
The other is FMQ'd in a loop pattern and foiled glue dots look like 3D ornaments

Learning point - just shoot me in the head rather than FMQ using metallic thread.  After my tension adjustment on the first tree, I had so many eyelashes on the backside, it looked like Christmas garland.  But, I picked it all out and re-adjusted my tension and re-FMQ'd it.

Next project was Just for Fun - it's Angie Padilla's 3-Pocket Scissor case.  It carries large, medium and small scissors and has a velcro closure it.  This was sweet, easy and fun to make - plus I now have a great little carrying case for my scissors!  No FMQ on here, but I will on the next one!

Angie Padilla's 3-Pocket Scissor case
My "Ol' Glory" rendition
Lastly, I credit Jen Bosworth Old Glory design from Shabby Fabrics for the inspiration for this table runner.  After I finish sewing ric-rac on the flags, I'll embroider the flagposts, add the backing & batting and FMQ.

I just can't get away from that foiling!  I really like that technique -
Foiling used on the firework and the drum

I also purchased and downloaded Leah Day's "365 Free Motion Quilting Designs" book this week.  I want to say every free motion quilter needs this fabulous book in her arsenal of FMQ tools!  While I've perused Leah's website on numerous occasions looking for filler designs, this book really opens up one's mind to many, many new designs.  This is, without a doubt, my best purchase of 2012!  Thank you Leah Day!

4 comments:

  1. Aw! Gosh, thank you so much! I know what you mean - flipping through I can't help but think of even more designs!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're entirely welcome - it's obvious that was a project of much love and effort!

      Delete
  2. Awesome projects! The eyelashes may have been a happy accident if they ended up on the front of your tree. I could so see them looking like christmas garland :) I have never worked with metallic thread. Kinda scared of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about the eyelashes. I'm going to look into different metallics. Seems my old Brother machine sewed much better than the new Janome with metallic threads. thanks for your comments, Dani - . You're always so kind.

      Delete